WCCO interview: Four Steps to Raise More responsible Boys
Here's the summary of the Four Steps offered on Thursday, January 28, 2016 edition of the WCCO Radio show with Jordana Green.
Remember that these steps are actions that apply primarily to adults, parents, educators and others, and can then be modeled and taught to our boys to add to their personal "tool kit" of personal development and self-responsibility.
• See our boys as sacred mirrors to our selves and society, not as something that needs "fixing"
• See the masks they wear and what their masks are concealing: pain, fear, uncertainty, brilliance
• See our boys as valuable human beings capable of amazing contributions and uncharted creativity
• Help them to See themselves as valuable!
• Ask "What is happening in your world?"
• Ask "What are you feeling?"
• Ask "What do you see for yourself in the future?"
• Ask, then Listen and show appreciation for their answers without editing, advising, or judging
• Thank them for trusting you with their viewpoint.
• Model authenticity and remember that our boys can easily detect insincerity and inconsistency to a fault
• Model what it is that we require from them and demonstrate our Ability to Respond to life's demands before asking them to be more Response-Able
• Model our Response-Ability to ask ourselves tough questions and take off our defensive masks.
• Play is the surest way to develop trust and respect
• Play, physical activity and
hands on work are a more natural way of learning for many boys
• Play more than you preach in order to teach
• Play by "getting your feet muddy" and taking fun, appropriate risks in boys' world to build connection.